Thursday, February 24, 2011

Breakfast At My House

This morning at breakfast, Anna held her hand up to her ear and said "I'm calling on the telephone. Grandma? Mema? Hello?" Pretty soon she was talking to Grandpa about fishing. "Grandpa? You have a fish for me?"

Joshua, in his best big-brother, I-know-everything-voice, said "His name is Monty."

"NO IT'S NOT!" Anna cried out.

"Yes it is, Anna, his name is MONTY," replied Mr. Know-it-All.

"NO IT'S NOT NO IT'S NOT NO IT'S NOT HIS NAME IS GRANDPA!"

I intervened at this point and said, "Anna, he has two names. He is Monty and Grandpa."

"He is?" she asked, confused.

"Yes, different people call him different things," I replied.

Her little lip started to quiver at this point and she said "But I don't WANT to call him Monty!!"

"Well, what do you want to call him?" I asked, knowing the answer.

"GRANDPA!!!"

"Then that is what you should call him, Anna. You call him Grandpa."

So she picked up her "phone" again and proceeded to have a lengthy conversation with Grandpa about fishing.

And that is how breakfast works at my house.

No comments: